Village Hall and Beckford Cottages
Childrens Play Area
The Angel Inn
The Community Website For Hindon Village, Wiltshire
Hindon was established as a new borough in 1220 by the Bishop of Winchester who owned the manor at Knoyle Episcopi (now East Knoyle) of which Hindon was a part. It was sited at the intersection of several ancient track ways between Salisbury and the market towns of Warminster and Mere, thus maintaining the practice of establishing new boroughs with a market, a fair and a church, as commercial ventures.
Hindon was set on the slopes of a dry chalk valley so that wells (of which there were several in the village) might readily be sunk. Most of the cottages were built along the High Street which runs the length of the village and was made wide enough to accommodate the weekly market. The cottages had burgage plots behind, and tracks led from the High Street to the fields beyond, a pattern which largely survives to this day.
Annual (later bi-annual) fair was held around the site of the present crossroads, trading horses, cattle, sheep, pigs and cheese, which survived until the late 19th century.
On 2nd July 1754, fire destroyed a large part of the High Street. The houses, most of which were thatched, were subsequently re-built using Chilmark or Tisbury stone and brick with clay or slate roof tiles, which largely characterise Hindon to the present day.
The great fire severely damaged the prosperity of Hindon, but a turnpike was created soon afterwards across the new stage coach route from London to Exeter (the present B3089). This generated service trades and commerce and Hindon became renowned for the number of its inns and alehouses. Of these, The Lamb and The Angel still survive.
The Industrial Revolution caused a general decline in agriculture and this, together with the building in 1859 of the Salisbury to Yeovil railway with a station at Tisbury, was the death knell of the coach and carriage trade in Hindon.
This site is being constantly developed and to make it interesting, relevant and up to date, we rely on input from the community so please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any contributions or if you find any errors in the content.
Maps of Hindon
Hindon is a village in Wiltshire, England, approximately one mile to the South of the A303 and one mile to the East of the A350.
It is 16 miles West of Salisbury, 9 miles South of Warminster and 7 miles North of Shaftesbury.
Ordnance Survey Map
On the map to the right you can see Hindon near the centre, South of the A303 and East of the A350.
You can interact with the Google map below.
Drag the orange man (top left of the map) onto the map for a panoramic view of that street. Click and rotate the page to turn around.
Click on the 'Satellite' button to see a photographic view.
Contains OS data © Crown copyright [and database right] (2015)
A virtual tour...
Take a virtual tour of Hindon starting at the High Street.
Click on the image and twist it around.
Then click on the arrows to move forwards / backwards.
Courtesy of Google Streetview.